Raising Astrology

I haven't written about my son Joseph in a while and something occurred last night that really validated my intuition about Astrology as being a truly beneficial tool to have in parenting and I feel compelled to share. I have loved and studied Astrology for years before Joe came along and I have always felt it to be very validating and helpful in navigating my own life, but this is my first attempt at utilizing it as a guide in raising another human being. I couldn't imagine how the knowledge could hurt my efforts, but now I feel even more confident that it could be a potential life saver or life shifter at the very least.



When Joe was born March 4 2011 @8:38 am in Tarzana, CA I immediately investigated his chart. I knew he was going to be a Pisces, but he is a Pisces on steroids with not just the Sun in Pisces but joined by the Moon, Mercury, Mars, Uranus, and Chiron for all my fellow Astrologers who might be reading. I was naturally so excited about his potential for creative genius,  human connection, compassion and a very sweet personality by nature. And of course as my new motherly worry instantly kicked in, I was equally concerned about the very possible opposite manifestation of all of this too. Escape, addiction, irresponsibility, no motivation or an unclear sense of identity...yikes!

Joseph is 2 1/2 now and as we cross all of the normal developmental milestones that all children do, certain aspects of his Pisces nature have revealed themselves as well. Just to name a few, his imagination is blooming, imaginary friends and all; he loves music and although he is a "real" boy in that he loves to crash cars, throw, kick and punch, he is also super loving, sensitive and tender hearted. He always says the sweetest things to me. And the first time he said to me, "Mommy, I'm so proud of you." I almost cried. I knew as all children repeat to learn, he had heard it from me telling him, but hearing it in his loving little voice just touched my heart. I can't help but take a moment after each time he says it to stop and take it in as a little symbolic encouragement from the universe that I am doing a good job even if I don't always think so.

Another natural characteristic of a young Pisces is that they don't clearly understand the need for food and nourishment, so they aren't the best eaters. Now I know Joe is not the first child to be a picky eater, but for Joe it isn't just about eating his vegetables, it's about breaking him from his addiction to the bottle and getting him to eat at all some days. I feel horrible that I get so frustrated with him sometimes and it does turn into a battle.

Last night something shifted, after he took a tiny non-bite of his dinner and said in the most honest, sweet voice;

"Mmm, mommy I yike [like] it...now you proud of me? I make you happy?"
"Good. Yes, mommy is very happy and proud of you", I said quickly. "Wait....do you really not like it, Joe?" I asked.
After hesitation he says shyly with a half smile, "No".
"Then why did you lie?" I ask... "To make mommy and daddy happy?"
"Yes", Joe says sheepishly.

I've known that a Pisces child will be very attached to his parents and want to always make them proud for fear of not being loved, which is one of the reasons I consciously tell him that,  but there was something in hearing it back this time and being used in this way that made it real and consequential.

We felt guilty for pushing him and took a minute to think. Then I thought about his chart, as it lives in the back of my mind, and realized we have an opportunity here. My husband and I immediately explained that he does not have to and should never lie about how he really feels to make us happy or proud. We will love and be proud of him always, and won't be mad if he doesn't like something. I went on to explain how he needs to at least try one bite, and tell me yes or no so we can discover the things he likes together. Naturally we will have to now continue this language, practice and repeat to really instill this lesson and understanding, but in my mind it is an undeniable save from possible future issues.

I am also positive that my assistance from understanding his Astrology and my personal work at being a conscious person and parent allowed me to catch and use this situation to shift things in the direction for a more positive Pisces manifestation in my son.

Now maybe there is plenty of room here for people to say all these things are normal and Astrology doesn't make any difference. I beg to differ, and if you are an Astrology lover I may be preaching to the choir, but just in case there is some natural healthy skeptics out there I will make my case.

Using Astrology as an additional parenting tool is, in my opinion, simply a conscious use of the nature verses nurture theory. This is the on-going debate about the forces either outside a person or forces inside a person as the influences of change and development. Babies come into the world equipped with a certain set of similar instinctive behaviors to survive but why is one child easier to sooth than another or seemingly more adaptable to certain environments or people than another? I believe it is both nature and nurture and should be respected as such.  One of the first things you read in every parenting book is to respect your child and treat them with the same love, respect and kindness you would want to be treated with. Why? Because they know what that is and feels like, for them, way before they can express it verbally.

Now, I can tell you for sure and we can all agree that,  we are all to a large extent products of our environments. I have live almost 42 years of mine and I can look back for the reveal quite easily. I bet you can too. Many parenting books also say that when we parent unconsciously we naturally revert to the parenting we received, for better or worse. But I also recognize there are ways I approach life, think, act, feel and parent that are subtly different from anyone in my family or the way I was  raise, aside from the use of Astrology of course. :) And the life I have created and experiences I have been drawn to and continue to seek have come from a yearning inside of me that I am still evolving to know and understand as part of my own unique journey. And becoming a mother is greatly part of that journey. Don't even let me get into how much having a child teaches us about ourselves. 

Ever heard the saying "we are all more alike than we are different"? People say that because on a primal human level we all desire the same things; love, joy, peace, freedom, connection, health and wealth. But how we venture toward those things is completely unique and Astrology provides a map to understanding what those things look like for you specifically and your unique path towards creating them. And I believe the earlier you can understand your child's instinctual and natural operating system from the inside, the better chance you have at supporting their truest most authentic self expression, as well as help them navigate potential challenges on the journey of Self discovery and personal identity. What more could a parent want?

I don't know for sure, maybe all kids lie about liking their crappy dinner to make their parents happy or proud, but then what's next? I can't help but jump to when he's older and really trying to figure himself out. If he doesn't feel confident in sharing his feelings with us, lord knows what direction things could go in. You could realistically say that about any child I know, but I believe that because I already know Joe's natural infinity toward escape and creating self-defeating habits because of his Pisces nature I can't take any chances that he will just 'grow out of it'. 

And yes, I know my husband and I's personalities will naturally play a role in preventing or instigating either side of this equation too. But when you are a parent you want to do everything in your power to keep your child safe and as happy as possible, right? And although we will never have all the answers, if you could have an additional tool in your back pocket to help you to obtain deeper knowledge about your child and always know what they may be going through before they do, why wouldn't you? Think of the benefits. They are endless. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. So I will keep moving forward, learning and using the best tools I have and, for us, Astrology is a priceless one.

I would encourage any new moms out there to consider looking into your child's Natal Chart for your priceless insight into supporting your little ones unique personality and journey. 

For you well Being!

I will also continue to share my experiences and teach what I learn as I raise Joe with Astrology. I hope to even write a helpful guide book at some point in my career. I do offer consultations now for you and baby if you are interested. You can check out more about me and what I do at my website. I'd love to help. In the meantime, I'd love to hear your opinions, thoughts and questions about raising children with Astrology. So please comment below or connect through the links below. Thanks in advance.


Comments

Popular Posts